Saturday, 15 October 2011

Orbis ring flash review

I have been in the market for a ring flash for about a year now. I want to use it for portraiture, product and macro photography. I think for portraits this would be a great source of light for several reasons the shadowless light, the catch-lights and that cool signature ring flash halo, just to mention a few.


I shopped around and found a few ring flashes and I finally settled on The Orbis Ring Flash with the orbis arm (bracket) and is a great piece of gear. I went to Amazon.com, price $237.90 but couldn't get them to ship  to APO, go figure.  I finally ordered from B&H and used my ASMP discount, total cost $239 and got it within 7 days! I followed the directions, assembled the Orbis arm and Orbis ring flash.  It took me awhile to adjust to the weight and bulk of everything but soon I was totally oblivious to entire issue of bulk.


I Picked up my 50mm,  Canon 5D Mark II  and Canon 580 EX II speedlight. set my ISO to 400, Orbis recommends that, set my flash in TTL/auto mode, set my camera to manual and began to document the event. I used f-stops between 1.2 - 4 and got great results which I posted here. I have plans to post more images in the future so stay tuned, thanks for viewing. 

I have more images of a party I photographed while working in Kuwait click here and feel free to comment as well. 

My new toy
Shannon
Stefanie
DJ Loso and fan
Lu